Guidelines on Applying for Student-Designed Major in the 2019-2 Semester
※ School Regulations: Constitution of Korea University, Chapter 4, Article 35(Classification of Majors) & Academic Operations Regulations Chapter 3 (Student-Designed Major) & Guideline for Student-Designed Major
The ‘Student-Designed Major’ is designed to accommodate the interests and career goals of students with broad interdisciplinary interests that cannot be satisfied within one of the traditional Korea University majors. Upon satisfying the graduation requirements of both first and Student-Designed Major, students with Student-Designed Major shall be conferred with the bachelor’s degree of each major. Curriculum of Student- Designed Major should be created by combining a minimum of three Korea University majors’ and must contain 36 major credits or more in total under the guidance of academic advisor of Student-Designed Major.
1. Application Dates
Applicant shall submit the application to the department office of applicant’s first major via the application procedures indicated above in ① and ② by April 30(Tue), 2019, 17:00.
① Applicant designs curriculum under the guidance of Academic advisor of Student- Designed Major and fills in the applications.
② Each council for Student-Designed Major reviews the application and submit the result to the department office of applicant’s first major.
※ Academic advisor for Student-Designed Major will be assigned after a consultation with a student’s 1st major’s head of department.
2. Announcement of successful applicants
- Date: June 14(Fri), 2019
- Venue: KU Portal (http://portal.korea.ac.kr) - Announcement board of “Academic Calendar”
1) The mandatory regulation of completing a second major is applied to students entering from 2004 onward. Students subject to this regulation must complete one of the following: (1) Intensive Major course of first major, (2) Double Major, (3) Interdisciplinary Major, (4) Student-Designed Major.
2) Students who withdraw second major program before applying for Student-Designed Major and fail to enter the independent major, then they should take an intensive major course in their first major.
3) Intensive major course of first major assumes a similar form to the existing single major system.
4) Among successful applicants those only who retain applicants eligibility conditions during the application semester (ex. registration, approval of pre-taken courses, designation of Student-Designed Major courses, course registration) will be accepted to purse Student-Designed Major from the following semester.
2019. 3. 12.
Academic Administration Division Education Team